Hey, I'm Opting, your new Developer.

Discussion in 'Introductions and Farewells' started by Opting, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Opting

Opting Developer Developer

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Hey guys, I'm Opting, and I just wanted to take a few minutes to introduce myself.

As you may have already figured out, as of today I am now an official developer for IntenseRaids. I have been working with @Aventon for a while already, and a lot of the recent updates have been developed by me. You guys loved the updates so much, and Aventon was so impressed with my work and how I handle myself, that he has made the decision to bring me on as a full time developer.

For those curious, my name is Mark, and I'm 29 years old. I've been addicted to programming since I was 19, and have been learning a variety of programming languages. I have spent a large bulk of the time since then doing freelance front and back end web development. A couple of years ago, I was given a minecraft account by a friend who no longer played, and I was instantly hooked. I spent over a year playing factions 24/7, and built up an incredibly strong faction of players who ended up becoming good friends. Together we dominated on any server we played on, and I had a ton of fun. I ended up being staff on a lot of the servers I played, and even admin/manager on some.

Being the curious type, I started messing around coding bots for console client that helped with many things on factions. After a lot of the people I was playing with ended up quitting because of school or work commitments, I kind of got bored of playing, but I couldn't shake that minecraft fever.

I was approached by a server owner who was starting a factions server with a youtuber, and he wanted someone to set up, run, and manage the server for him. I took the job, and I really enjoyed doing it. When that job ended, I went on to start my own network. During the process of setting up that network, I started to get frustrated that I couldn't find plugins that did what I wanted, or the ones I could find just didn't do it well enough. That's when I started to look into Java and the Bukkit API, and I noticed a lot of similarities to other languages I had used, so learning it was a breeze, and pretty soon I was writing custom plugins for my network.

My network ended up closing down due to the player base slowly dying off, and since then I have been making plugins for people and helping them out with their servers. That's how I ended up meeting Aventon, and how we got here today.

Anyway, sorry for the text wall. I want to answer a few questions that I think might come up.

What does this mean for the server?
    Well, now that IntenseRaids has a full time developer, bugs and issues are going to be fixed much quicker. It also means that suggestions made by you guys are likely to be accepted and implemented pretty quickly.

Those crashes that were happening constantly? Fixed by me. The lag spikes you've been having? I've been working constantly trying to resolve them. The server overall is going to be a lot better off with me around.

What can you code?
    Anything. If you have an idea, please post it in the suggestions section. If your idea is well received by the community, fits well with the server, and is feasible, it will be implemented.

Can you fix [insert annoying bug here]?
    Yep, just make a bug report and if it's not something Aventon can fix, I'll get right on it.

Will you be playing the server?
    Not exactly, I don't really have the time to play minecraft any more, and lately I much prefer coding for it, than playing it. However, I'm a really hands on guy, so you'll likely see me chilling on the forums or in game talking to people and helping out where I can.

If you guys have any more questions for me, post below and I'll get back to you.

Thanks for reading :)

• Like Like x 3
  2. shinpoo

shinpoo New Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Hmm you can Code anything right? So can you give my mc character a Six pack? ooo no no a 7 pack yeahhh that will look better

• Like Like x 1
  3. Opting

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Absolutely, would take a while to work out the coordinate calculations, but this can be done with particles.

• Like Like x 1
  4. shinpoo

shinpoo New Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Hmm you really can do the impossible, glad to know we have you on the server :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. TheHairyPenguin

TheHairyPenguin Helper Helper

Ratings:
    +15 / 1 / -1
    It's great having you @Opting, I'm sure you are going to be very welcome here! And now I have someone else to spam on discord when we find a bug in a plugin ;)

6. Opting

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    It's not a bug, it's a feature.

• Like Like x 2
  7. TheHairyPenguin

TheHairyPenguin Helper Helper

Ratings:
    +15 / 1 / -1
    I like you're attitude!

8. Mv_

Mv_ New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    YOU'RE?!??!?!!?!??! YOU'RE?!?!?!??!!?!?!

triggered.

• Like Like x 2
  9. DHSVarsity

DHSVarsity New Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    welcome! thanks for helping out IR :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Drakmordis

Drakmordis New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0